Wednesday, January 4, 2012

blessings

I mentioned earlier that my parents got Kyle and I "The Treasury of David" by Spurgeon for Christmas from my parents. It has been an AMAZING read so far. Yes, I'm saying amazing and I'm just at the beginning of the book. 

Psalm 1 says "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, not standeth in the way of sinners, not sitteth in the seat of the scornful, but His delight is in the law of the Lord..." 

It continues but my focus has been on the very first part of this verse. Spurgeon's commentary on this part says "The word translated as "blessed" is a very expressive one. The original word is plural, and it is a controverted matter whether it is an adjective or a substantive, Hence we may learn the multiplicity of the blessings which shall rest upon the man whom God hath justified, and the perfection and greatness of the blessedness he shall enjoy." 

For some reason I have always been a little uncomfortable when the blessings of the Lord are talked about. I am humbled by the Lords blessings and thankful for them. But what makes me uncomfortable is the idea of doing something because I want the blessings of the Lord. It feels wrong to me. I feel like I should do things for the Lord simply because He is God.
Which, is true, I should do things simply because He is God, but coupled with that is blessing. Blessing that I shouldn't be afraid of.


This being nervous to do things simply for the blessing of the Lord has also spilled into my prayer life. I can pray BIG things for others, but when it comes to praying "big" for myself I hesitate. I think I'm learning to see the full picture of God. It is easy for me to see God as all powerful and just. I am learning that he is also a very loving Abba, which translated is "daddy". 


It is humbling beyond words that my God would not only save me, but also want me to live abundantly, and provide blessing.

Any thoughts? 

2 comments:

  1. You are as sweet and humble as I remember! I will most likely have to read this a couple times before I really understand the depth of this all, but what I do know is if you ever need a "big" prayer, let me know. I will pray it for you! Maybe God puts people who care about us in our lives who can pray the big things for you?

    ReplyDelete