Tuesday, December 20, 2011

coffee with grandma

My parents aren't much of coffee drinkers, so for this trip to Idaho Kyle and I go to my grandma's house for coffee.


It begins with us sitting around the table chatting and doing a great deal of laughing. Then grandpa usually wanders in about ten minutes later and joins the fun. He and Grandma tease one another for awhile and then back to the regular chatting.


That's house coffee begins. It ends with me and my grandma in her garage. She goes through all of her "stuff" and asks if I want any of it. Yesterday we almost left with a never before used vintage set of coke glasses and pitcher. We did leave with 4 clay "moonshine" pitchers from my great-great-great grandfather, (my oldest sister wanted them as well, so my four pitchers will soon be 2), a skirt, a cheesecake pan, and 2 cookbooks. 


That was just from day one. Who knows what we'll be carting home with us! 


A little side note: Something that has been on my heart for the last few days. It is so easy for me to not filter my words with my family because they are my family. There isn't anyone in the world I am closer with or love more than my family, so it seems safe to say whatever I want to them. 


The Lord really convicted my heart when I was reading my Spurgeon devotional yesterday. He encourages that it is not profitable to debate parts of scripture that the Word is silent on. Also, we should only speak what is edifying and God honoring. 


My sisters are hilarious. We have SO much fun together. I am blessed to be surrounded by a family that loves the Lord!  I pray that am as much of a blessing to them in my speech as they are to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment