Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Voted most likely to be a stay at home mom

Yep, just like the title says, in High School I was voted tallest (Which was always funny to me since it's a matter of fact, not something that can be voted on.) and most likely to be a stay at home mom.

When I was asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would tell my friends and family I wanted to be a mom. My family never said much about this. They supported my desire. However, it was regularly talked about that were my oldest sister not to get married and have kids, she would make a fabulous lawyer. My second oldest sister had many ambitions as we grew up, but the most consistent thing she stuck with was wanting to open a children's home. My younger sister with all of her talent could have chosen (and still could) any path. The battle was always between music and being a killer business woman. My youngest sister is still exploring her passions, (that sounded so new-age, but I meant it in a totally normal way) However, she LOVES animals, would love to live on a farm, and maybe be a vet.....

My friends would say, "yeah, yeah, you want to be a mom, we'll all be moms, but what do you want to DO?"

Always my reply was "be a stay at home mom".

Sometimes I felt like I was unimaginative, or like I had no ambition. Have you seen the Italian Job? Do you remember when they are all talking about what they are going to do with all their money and Edward Norton's character says, "That sounds good.. I'll take one of each of what you said". Later in the movie this scene is referenced as his weakness, a lack of imagination. Now, I am not in the business of stealing and I don't back-stab my friends for all of their stolen money like Ed's character did...  However, I felt a bit like him at times. Unimaginative because I didn't have a "real" goal. I just wanted to be a mom.

Fast-forward about 15 years and my oldest sister has 3 children. She's a GREAT mom. There are many ways in which she is a great mom, but let me tell you, the mind and talent that would have made her a great lawyer is now making her a great mom. She is going to home school her kids and you better believe they will get a great education and be thinkers.  My second oldest sister is also a GREAT mom, all of the love and tenderness that would have given her the strength to open a children's home and welcome in the needy, that same love and tenderness is lavished on her children. My younger sister doesn't have children yet, but if/when she does, I can guarantee you there won't be a dull moment in her home. The kids will be exposed to the arts and great literature, and they will each be instilled with a killer instinct to work hard and achieve their goals. I can't wait to see what my youngest sisters home will look like. I pray she gets her farm.

I only have one kid right now, and as you know he is almost 6 months old. So we are yet to see what our home will look like and how our kids turn out.. but let me tell you something.

I'm living my dream.

I am a wife, and I am a stay at home mom, and I couldn't be happier. I'm not perfect at it, not by a long shot. But, I get to live my dream! How cool is that?!

Every day I get to make my home a little cozier, love on my baby a little bit more, serve my husband a little bit better... How cool is that?!

I find I have more specific dreams than I did when I was little. I hope to have a yard and a garden one day. Small dreams, but they are mine.

Until then I will  "Rejoice always.... give thanks in everything...." The Lord has let me live my dream.
(1 Thess. 5:16-18)







1 comment:

  1. you are too kind...but i appreciate your words. being a mom is the best and i get the part about no ambition, but it's not true. Jonathon is so so lucky. and I still think you could start a reality t.v. show. :)

    ReplyDelete