Tuesday, July 1, 2014

my 2 cents

I don't know if there are an increasing number of "motherhood" blogs/posts/articles out on the web, or if I am just noticing them more because I am in the motherhood stage of life now. Either way, I am seeing a lot of opinions on the topic.

 I am constantly seeing articles such as "what nobody told me" "I never knew how tired I could be" "the 5 things about being a mom I wish someone would have said" "What labor is really like" "What raising kids is really like"... you get the picture.

Almost all of the articles talk about fatigue, emotions, feeling run down, having a constant foggy brain and the like. Some of the articles talk about the true hardships of being a mom that no one wants to admit to, some talk about how it's all just so much better than anyone could have explained, yay for rainbows and sunshine! Well, here is my 2 cents.

I was going to give a disclaimer about all the things I love about my baby and about being a mom so that you didn't think I was a horrible person, but that's not the point of what I want to say, so I'm just going to dive in.

It doesn't really matter how tired you are. How everything is different than you thought. How sometimes you just want to break down and cry. How you didn't feel "that connection" to your baby immediately. If you are a happy mom, that is awesome! Continue to dwell on the good, and thank the Lord for your experience. If you are struggling.. well stop reading the articles. They don't help you dwell on truth. They just make you feel better about yourself for a moment before you hear your baby cry and you break down again.

We are called to motherhood, If you are a mom it is what the Lord has ordained for you and He has given plenty to study and focus on about this topic in His Word. Obey what you are called to do and the feelings will follow. Maybe not that moment, or that day, but the feelings will follow. The Lord blesses obedience. Quit reading articles that feed your emotions (which cannot be trusted due to lack of sleep) and read the Word.

If you are a mom who is truly struggling... ask for help.  My 2 older sisters have had some truly hard times in their early motherhood years. I can't imagine going through some of the things they have. I learned so much from watching them put their pride away and ask for godly counsel, and then heed that counsel.

Today is the day that the Lord has made, REJOICE, and be GLAD in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment