Monday, April 7, 2014

The Kindest Act

Today at Moms by Grace we were posed with this question; "What is the kindest thing anyone has ever done for you?"

My mind flooded with memories.

How could I choose one moment above all the others?

I couldn't.

I thought about how my Dad came to my bedside and prayed with me and held my hand before my c-section.
I thought of how my Dad has loved me. 
I thought about Kyle's unending patience and love and care and provision for me.
I thought about how my mom chose to adopt 4 girls and marry into a family that moved her across the country.
I thought of my sisters. Their selfless love, and how above all we have always chosen to be a team.

I could go on and on and on. Wow! The kindness of the Lord to bless me with such kindness in my life.

Here is the story I decided to share. I don't know if it's The absolute number 1 kindest thing in my life. But it is tied for first with a couple of other thing things.

After my mother died, an old college classmate of hers read about it in the school newsletter and decided to to start writing to us girls. The Lord had laid us on her heart and she wanted in some way to let us know that we were prayed for and loved.

She hadn't kept up with my mom after they left school, but she had fond memories of her and thought being pen pals with us might bring some comfort.

After a time of sending us letters she spoke with her husband because she felt like she wished she could do more, but saw that there was no real way to do that, as she lived in Iowa and we lived in Montana.

Her husband had other thoughts. He decided we needed a woman in our lives, and so he told his wife that he would take his vacation time to stay home with his boys (He worked both for Fed Ex and the Army at this time, and vacation time was sweet and rare) and she should come out and stay with us, and send my dad away for a week.

She thought he was a bit crazy. He stood his ground. He thought of my Dad and what he would pray someone would do for him if his wife died and left him with the boys.

She came.

We all fell instantly in love with one another.  The Lord brought us someone who at the very core of her being loved and feared The Lord, was kind, gentle, FUN, loving, and was there for us in a time we needed her most.

Her and her husband made a commitment to us. Not a verbal one, one that was lived out. They weren't going to enter our lives at the beginning of our grieving after losing our mom and then go away. They were in, for life.

She came year after year, and continues to come to this day. Even though we are grown. 

We're all family now. I've only met her husband once ( as he was always home providing a way for her to come to us) but he has my highest respect, love, and admiration.

She, well, I can't really tell you what I feel for her.

She is graduating from Grad school at the end of the month. It's a loooong story, but she is accomplishing one of the hardest things she's ever been through. My oldest sister and I are sending my other sister Jess out to be with her at the end of the month.

It is a very small way to repay the kindness that has been shown. But I hope it's a blessing.


No comments:

Post a Comment