Thursday, September 12, 2013

Put through trials to love

The older I get (yes, I realize I'm still not that old yet...) the more I see the details in the way God works through our lives. It's a theme that seems to keep popping up lately, and so I'm just trying to learn all I can, and enjoy it.

There are times that I have gone through trials, and the only thing that got me through was the knowledge that somehow The Lord was using this in my life to sanctify me and make me more like His Son. (The thought of being made more like Christ is a glorious thought! This thing that hurts right now, will make me more like Christ, MY SAVIOR! I get to be made like HIM!)

Now, many years after some of my trials, I am able to encourage people who are just stepping into what I have gone through. The Lord, through His grace and mercy, has allowed me to have the blessing of encouraging and praying for those who are in the midst of a trial now.

I can specifically pray for them in a way I wouldn't have known how to. I can give them verses that spoke to my heart. And sometimes I can just listen, knowing that is what is needed instead of words.

A friend stood on my doorstep a couple of days ago and asked that I pray for her as she goes off to love a friend of hers going through a trial. We prayed together, and I couldn't help but thank The Lord, that though my friend had gone through a heart wrenching trial herself, she was now equipped like no other to love on this sweet girl.

Another friend of mine is going through a trial with her whole family. They are going to (unless the Lord does a miraculous work, which He is capable of doing!!) lose a family member. My friend asked me for any wisdom I could give her and her family as they step forward into the unknown of losing someone. I can't tell you how unequipped I felt in answering her letter. In my weakness, the Lord gave me words, and suddenly detailed memories of my own trial in losing loved ones, so I was able to at least give her some truth from the Word. 

Romans 12:15 tells us to Rejoice with those who rejoice, and to mourn with those who mourn.

What a blessing to come alongside others.

No comments:

Post a Comment