Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Maine Trip 2013

My parents sent Kyle and I back to Maine as an early Christmas present. It was wonderful! I say "back" to Maine because you just say "we're going back east" whenever you travel that direction, and because that is where my mom was born and raised.

I had been wanting to take Kyle to see this other side of me for quite some time now. Sadly, it was also a goodbye trip. We ended up saying goodbye to my grandpa, because I don't think I'll ever see him again.

We got to sit and listen to stories about his childhood, his time in the military, and hear old hunting stories. He built ships while he was in the military, and when he got out he continued to build for different companies.

 We also had sweet time with my Uncle Tim and his family. My uncle is my mom's youngest brother. We haven't spent much time with him in the past. But we hit it off, had an absolute BLAST, and can't wait for more time together.

Here are a few pictures.. It was a fast weekend away and I realize I didn't take as many pictures as I wish I had. But here is what I have.. I also feel like I have more stories, but I'm sure they'll spill out over time.

Kyle's first real experience with lobster.

I dream to some day have a sun porch like this. We would sit here in the mornings at Uncle Tims and have our quiet time, or read and sip our coffee. It was glorious.

My handsome man in front of the most photographed lighthouse in the world.

This is Back Cove. It's about a quarter mile from my Uncles. It's a 3 1/2 walk all the way around the cove, perfect for our walks.

I remember going here as a little girl, but I really took the picture because of the boot. My dad had a very similar boot that he wore when we were kids. He'd wear them to our swim meets when he was officiating, we made so much fun of him as he walked around in cut off jean shorts and the boots, but the other dads thought he was quite styling and soon bought some boots of their own.

Part of the port. I loved watching the boats come and go. This was the view from a restaurant my uncle took us to. RiRa was the name of it. An Irish name, to go with all the Irish roots in Maine. Our waitress actually had an Irish accent.

The lighthouse

I loved the old cobblestone streets. When Portland was first developing the ships would come in from England and they would unload the cobblestones and make the roads. These have been here as long as our country has been around.

Time with Grampie, He didn't have time to stop and smile for the camera. He just wanted to continue his story. It was fun to listen.

One of Kyle's and my favorite thing to do together is explore new places. Our marriage is one big adventure, and exploring just adds to it. We laughed because we thought that with some snow this could look like Diagon Alley

One more of us in front of the lighthouse, You can kind of see my pregnant belly.

No comments:

Post a Comment