Monday, September 30, 2013

Grampie

My grandfather passed away on Saturday. I am so thankful for our recent trip to Maine, so that I could say goodbye, and so Kyle could meet him.

When I told Kyle he passed, he was quiet for a moment and then said, "He's the kind of person you meet, and then wish you could have really know." I found myself feeling the exact same way. I knew him more through stories than experience and always wish I knew him personally. 

Grampie seemed somewhat anxious for Heaven when I saw him last. He was both a little introspective as he thought about his life as it was coming to an end, and there also seemed to be some relief in him that soon this world would pass.

My sister wrote today that " sorrow has a way of drawing me to heaven that joy doesn't". I completely agree. With each death that I have experienced I am drawn to Heaven. I long to share in  the sweet joy of being with my Savior, of seeing my mother, of no more pain, and joy everlasting. It's a sweet and strange thing to think of my mom and her father talking in heaven together. It's hard to imagine what they must be saying to each other. But what I truly have come to realize, is that while we mourn, Grampie is worshiping. He is able to look upon the Lord! I miss knowing him, but I would not wish him back!

No comments:

Post a Comment