Monday, September 19, 2011

off the floor

One of the things about starting out is that you have nothing. This has actually been kind of fun for Kyle and I, because we get to have little adventures in building furniture, or shelves, or tables. When Kyle and I first got married we didn't have a bed that would fit the both of us. I had a twin bed, and thinking that I would be getting a new bed with my husband, gave it away to my younger sister who needed a new bed in her apartment. 

Kyle thought this was no problem as he had a twin bed and thought that we could sleep on that for the time being. 

That lasted less than a week. I am 6'6'' and don't share twin beds well. 

So we moved to the floor, put two twin mattresses together, put a thick memory foam on top of them both, and we had a king bed.

3 months later we were still on the floor. So my husband loving me like he does decided that he would make me a bed frame! (I might have asked him to do this, just a few times, he was pretty comfortable on the floor.)

So we started:
Kyle asked me to sit on one side of the wood so that he could saw, yep saw. I was really nervous

 then we sanded (a lot, we had to make the legs perfectly flat) Kyle would come by with the level and make sure we were doing it right.. SO glad Bri was with me!!! She added a ton of fun to the day :)



next came the building of the support, pretty much we made ladders
 We worked pretty late, until kyle and I were tired and sore and Bri had already gone... But we were over half way done. 

We assembled in our room the next day


notice that it is still nice and bright outside.
The 49er game was on, and I took a Sunday nap, so we didn't finish until kinda late. But we worked hard, in that "I'm so tired I'm giggly" sort of way.
almost there..


Finished!

I asked to get off the floor and Kyle delivered. It's REALLY tall! we went from the floor to the ceiling. Notice we're halfway up that window. Our next step is to saw off 5 inches from the legs and stain.  But we slept on it last night (we literally had to climb into bed, that glow form the left side of the bed is the lamp on our night stand, just to give you a hint at how tall it is) 

We love our bed though, slept great! Thank you Kyle! He is the architect.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha... that's awesome... I love it!!! Looks great!!! :) And I love you to pieces. Sorry the niners lost. It was a pretty good game though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay...maybe kyle needs to do a little more sawing...just a thought.

    ReplyDelete