Friday, September 26, 2014

a kiss on the forehead



 Everyone goes through busy times at work, and lately Kyle has been a bit busy. He hasn't complained and has kept a smile on his face, although I know there is one thing that is very hard for him. When he comes home late it means there are days that he doesn't get to see Jonathan.

It's a season, and I am sure that every dad has times when this is true of them as well, and I know that some fathers have it much much worse than we do. It has made me think a lot about the role of a husband and father. They get up early, they work all day, and they do it to provide for the people that they love the most, the people they leave at home every day and who they don't always get to see.

I get to experience the daily blessing of Kyle's hard work. I get to be a stay at home mom, I get to be there for every new thing that Jonathan does. (Kyle has missed every "first") I get to have leisurely quiet times on my porch where I sip coffee, enjoy the morning, and read. Granted, the task of motherhood is not easy, but the task of fatherhood is harder.

Kyle entrusts the daily raising of our son (and future children) to me and yet he is ultimately responsible before God for the state of our home. He is the physical, spiritual, and emotional provider of our home. We pull from his strength.

I am so thankful that Kyle also has a Father. His Heavenly Father provides him with the strength needed to fulfill his task. I am daily thankful for the Lords faithfulness to Kyle.

On those nights that Kyle doesn't get to see Jonathan, he comes home and gives me a kiss and then slips away to sneak into Jonathan's room and give him a kiss on the forehead.  Then, the next time Jonathan is awake, Kyle whispers to him. "I'm sorry we didn't get to spend time together yesterday, but when I got home I came in your room and kissed your forehead. I love you."

1 comment: