Wednesday, September 17, 2014

No, thank you.

2 Friday's ago I received a call from my dad. He wanted to know if I could come to Idaho the following day. My mom's father wasn't doing well and she needed to get to Alabama to spend time with him and help out the family. Which in turn meant that I needed to get to Idaho to help the family.

Don't misunderstand me; any member of my family would have done what they could to help out. It just so happened that I was the only person who was really available.

Isn't that how life so often works. You live your life to the best of your ability, pursuing the Lord, and then He is the one who lays opportunities of service in front of you. If you are to accept I believe that the one who serves is in turn more blessed than the people who were being served.

It was a long week, and a tiring week. ( I had at least 1 child in bed with me every night) But it was a fun week, and a week that opened my eyes ever more to all that my parents do for us.

My parents serve.

They serve their children with time, affection, finances, counsel, they lead by example, and they do all of these things at the sacrifice of themselves. I "walked a mile in their shoes" this week.

It was humbling.

I've been thanked over and over, from my sister and brother in law for watching their children, by my mom and dad for making it possible for Lisa to get to Alabama, by my aunt for being able to take a week and get caught up on life before she resumes responsibilities that Lisa performed for a week, and my my grandmama for "letting" Lisa come to Alabama and help.

I feel awkward saying "you're welcome".

Mostly because if anyone else in the family had been able, they would have done what I did (Which really was watching 5 kids I love to death for a week)

I feel my response should be "Thank you Lord for letting me serve." "Thank you Lord for letting me receive this blessing." "Thank you Lord for opening my eyes even more to my parents love." "Thank you for a week with such sweet little ones." "Thank you for a new friend." "Thank you Kyle, for loving my family and always putting them first." "Thank you Dad for the example that marriage should come first, and hard work should be blessed, making it possible for Jess and Caleb to get away by flying me up to babysit." "Thank you Dad for putting Lisa's family, and especially her dad first and giving her more time with them." "Thank you Lord for letting me be squeezed for a week and seeing what came out. For increased sanctification."

I also want to say thanks for the fun memories with my nieces, nephew, and little sister. They live far away and I don't get them to myself as much as I wish. The Lord gave us a week of memories.

Lastly, Jonathan crawled and sat up for the first time in front of his great-grandmother, and he listened to his great-grandfather play the harmonica for him (which is a bit of a family tradition, that I wasn't sure would happen again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment