Thursday, December 13, 2012

an unexpected memory of Dad

I woke up to pouring rain, it's not snow, but in California it's the closest I've felt to Christmas this year. I'm not sure how thinking of snow and Christmas got me to thinking about my Dad washing my hair, but it did. 

Dad had to be both Mom and Dad for us girls after mom passed away.

Looking back Dad did such a great job being "mom" to us. 

On Sunday mornings we would wake up and go downstairs where Dad would wash our hair in the sink. We would lay on the counter top, he would have laid down a towel to make it comfortable, and then put another rolled up towel under our neck for comfort. Then, he would take the sprayer and rinse our hair just like we were at a salon. 

I just remember laying there talking as he held my head and washed my hair. 

When he was done, he would brush my hair out for me by the fireplace. (if time allowed) Then it was off to get ready for church, while my dad went to wash the next sisters hair.

I think I'll probably wash my own kids hair in the sink someday. 


2 comments:

  1. that felt like the most normal thing in the whole until I just read it on your blog. I think it just hit me that most people don't lay on the counter top and wash their hair in the sink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I didn't realize how different it was until I read it either. Give him a hug for me!

    ReplyDelete