Thursday, November 14, 2013

Wood Girl stories that made grandma laugh until she cried

When the subject of my childhood comes up I can't help but smile and often laugh. It was a truly unique experience, and while it was surrounded by tragedy at the passing of my mother, it was filled with love, adventure, and sisters. (there are 5 of us girls...... yes, my poor dad.)

We have often talked about writing a book together, and sadly it hasn't happened yet. But my grandma came down to visit me (which was absolutely fabulous!) and while we were at a friends house my sisters, grandma, and I started sharing childhood stories. Katie was laughing so hard she could barely talk, Deb was wheezing which is her form of laughter, and when I looked at grandma I saw that she was laughing so hard she was crying.

Katie was sharing a story of our summer nanny. Our first nanny, and our last. She was a crotchety older lady who read romance novels, made food that dogs couldn't eat (literally) and was the worst driver I've ever seen. She ran over our neighbors mailbox twice in one summer. Of course this was because she had to put her entire head below the dashboard to change the radio station, which is the normal.........right?  She also thought that Debbie was sneaky because she would grab string cheese (the only edible food in the fridge) without asking and without letting Kitty know. Some day, if the book is ever made, I will share the whole story...

There are only 40 days until Christmas, and 32 days until I get to go home!!! While there, I hope to put pen to paper and start recounting some of our childhood adventures with my sisters.


No comments:

Post a Comment